10 Ideas for College Care Packages
Do you have a child or family member going off to college this year? Let them know that you are thinking about them (and miss them) with a college care package. Nothing says "I love you" like a box of goodies from home. Here's a list of our top 10 things that your college student probably forgot to pack before heading out school.
1. A single serve coffee maker - late nights of studying and early morning classes make this a must have. We really like this coffee maker from Black&Decker. It comes with it's own travel mug and can be picked up on Amazon for around $20
2. Speaking of Amazon...don't forget the Amazon gift card for buying coffee for that coffee maker or for any other emergency supplies they may need. Even better? Give them an Amazon Prime Student membership. It's free for 6 months and then 50% the cost of a regular Prime Membership.
3. A warm blanket. It gets pretty cold and drafty in those dorm rooms - and college students need to sneak in some shut eye whenever they can. So pamper them with soft blanket. We are in love with this mermaid blanket...it's just so much fun!
4. Handwritten notes and photos. We all get homesick from time to time. It can be a difficult time for your college student, especially if this is the first time that they have been away from home for any length of time. Photos of family, pets and special memories will help them feel better. A sincere handwritten note will really brighten their day.
5. Natural skin care products. Money can be extra tight for your college student and they will grab the cheapest shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste and soap that they can find. Some of the good stuff from home will be sure to make their skin happy and make them feel pampered. We can definitely help you with this one!
6. Group Games. They are a great cure for loneliness and being homesick. With the added bonus of helping them make friends in their dorm. Be sure to give them something uber cool like Cards Against Humanity or Been There, Done That.
7. Laundry bag and laundry detergent. For some college students, this will be their first crack at doing their own laundry. Make sure they have everything they need to get the job done.
8. First Aid Kit. Let's face it...they aren't thinking about this kind of stuff. That is until they aren't feeling well and have nothing on hand to take care of that headache, upset stomach or paper cut. Do them a favor and stop by the travel size section of your favorite store and pick them up a few must haves. We love this idea from Everyday Dishes and their Mom's Remedies First Aid Survival Kit
9. Healthy Snacks. Fast food and junk are the first thing on a college students menu. It's fast and cheap. Give them some healthier options for snacking. Our favorites are Kind Bars, Bobo's Oat Bars and Epic Hunt and Harvest Mixes
10. A simple cookbook. Even better than healthy snacks...help them learn to cook for themselves while away at college. We highly recommend Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day by Leanne Brown. Her book is packed full of recipes that are healthy, delicious and that won't break the budget for a college student.
What can you think of to add to our College Survival list? Leave your ideas in the comments.